The debate about planking has gone viral, even though it’s been around since 2009. But thanks to YouTube and Facebook, thousands of people are lying ram-rod horizontal on top of cars, railway tracks, coffee tables, road signs, fences and landmarks, taking photos and sharing them with the world.
One guy said on Facebook if he got 150 Likes, he would plank on the front desk of a police station. He has over 20,000 Likes. If you’re doing it at McDonald’s it’s called McPlanking, stupid. What else would it be called?
And we’re all LOL. Or we were.
Tragically, 20-year-old Acton Beale from Australia’s state of Queensland died when he tried to plank on a 5cm-wide railing on a 7th floor balcony and fell to his death. This has prompted warnings from psychologists and police about the dangers of planking fuelled by risk-taking young men.
It’s mostly a harmless, hilarious bit of fun, and we would like to keep it safe. We’ve compiled a Top 10 list of the world’s best places not to go planking on your travels. Disclaimer: No responsibility is taken by Taste for Travel if you’re a knucklehead.
- 1. The Beijing-Lasa fast rail track.
- 2. On top of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign (you will fry your brains).
- 3. A hotel room where IMF boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn is staying.
- 4. Misrata Airport, Libya (do you do want to get bombed?).
- 5. Most places in Baghdad (ditto).
- 6. A cemetery in any country where you don’t speak the language.
- 7. The space shuttle Endeavour (unless you want a free ride to the International Space Station).
- 8. A compound wall in Abbottabad.
- 9. The Israeli border barriers with Syria or Lebanon.
- 10. On top of any razor wire fence in Australia’s hated immigration detention centres (it’s been done before and protesting detainees got hurt).