VIBE: Zesty South American food and coffee is the flavour of the month in Sydney and Belaroma Coffee Roasting Company at Manly Vale on the northern beaches is one of those go-to places.
FOOD: The kitchen is led by head chef Chris Blatchford, whose cooking is inspired by street style cuisine – as the name suggests, that of vendors cooking and selling their fresh produce on pavements around the world, particularly with South American flavours. The autumn 2013 menu features ingredients from Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, as well as Indonesia. Best bits: Grilled chicken salad (pictured below) with avocado, pistachios, grilled asparagus and corn, crisp baked tortilla and garlic aioli $A19; Roast vegetable salad with quinoa, baby spinach, grilled haloumi, spiced macadamias and almonds $14; Poached eggs with roast tomatoes, marinated feta, avocado and salsa verde on grilled grain levain (or gluten free) $16.50.
COFFEE: The barista and chief coffee taster is Scottie Callaghan, a two-time Australia Barista Champion, 2006 World Latte Art Champion and 2012 Third place winner in the World Barista Championships. He’s travelled the world to source beans for his newest blend, Tiempo (which means “time” in Spanish) from unique coffee farms in Peru, Brazil, Guatemala, Kenya and Mexico.
For a long time, the Belaroma Coffee Academy was an exclusive privilege of Belaroma coffee operators. As its reputation grew, Belaroma received a huge amount of requests for public courses. The Belaroma Coffee Academy is now open to the public.
- Belaroma Coffee Roasting Company, 75, Kenneth Road Manly Vale, NSW – 2093 Tel: (02) 8976 9999
- Opening hours: Mon to Fri: 06.30 to 15.30 Sat and Sun: 08.00 to 15.30
- Classes include The Espresso Masterclass for the dedicated barista who wants to increase their knowledge of coffee from ‘seed to cup’
- Latte Art is a fun and practical class, introducing you to the techniques needed to pour amazing latte art on your coffees
- Shop for coffee online at www.belaromacoffee.com.au