Art travel photo workshops Italy
Five words meaning adventures of a lifetime. Here’s my five recommended workshops for 2016 combining exploring, culture, good company and artistic endeavour. And wine. Almost anyone who can pick up a brush or pencil or squint behind a lens wants to go to Italy at some stage of their lives. The rest of us simply want pizza and Armani. There’s no shame in that…
Julia Cairns TUSCANY Watercolour
British born, lived in Botswana and now living in the US, Julia’s whimsical style has long delighted me. In Botswana, Julia discovered a country that was to become home to her for nine years and where she began her painting career in earnest. Living for many years in the Okavango Swamps, Julia painted the landscape and natural history, often perched in rustic dug out canoes or sitting on a sand bank keeping one eye open for crocodiles!
During her time in Botswana, Julia was commissioned to design four series of postage stamps for the country and was asked to paint a portrait of the then President, Dr Quett Masire. Through observing the African people and their daily lives, Julia developed a more whimsical style of painting that has become her trademark. She lives in New Mexico. She has illustrated nine books for children.
- June 18-25, 2016
- 7 nights staying in a 12th century monastery
- Pick up in Florence first day, transfer to Siena final day
- Daily painting classes with Julia
- Breakfast and dinner catered by personal chef
- Info: COME WITH ME TO TUSCANY
Carla Coulson NAPLES Travel Photography
Carla’s book Naples: A Way of Love is a heartfelt tribute to her love affair with Italy’s most misunderstood city. Carla is an Australian-born fashion and travel photographer who lives in Paris, but has spent years living in Italy and written several books.
I feel like you could draw a circle around Naples and it could be its own country. In ways it’s very Italian but in other ways it’s a whole new world, like Asia had a train crash with Italy! Each time I arrive in Naples I have the same feeling of awe as the first time I visited, there are so many contrasts and so much that still exists that has already disappeared from other parts of Italy. Their street food culture is like none other in Italy, their markets and shops are overflowing with products, the architecture is grand and regal but with that ‘Cuban’ faded patina and whole families glide around the streets on vespas. And there is a rich daily life that is a photographer’s dream.
- September 15-20, 2016
- Doesn’t include flights, hotels or transfers however Carla will recommend accommodation such as Palazzo Decumani or Decumani Hotel De Charme or Airbnb
- Enrolments close March 31
- 3,500 euros
- Info: CARLACOULSON.COM
Julian Hyzler UMBRIA Mixed Media
I’ve been following art teacher Julian’s progress since he and his wife restored an Umbrian farmhouse in 2009. Julian’s painting workshops have blossomed into a worldwide endeavour, combining sketching, painting, great food and yoga.
It’s been an honour throughout the years to meet so many people from around the world and experience through them the excitement of cities, the richness of the Italian countryside, and to learn new ways of seeing alongside them. I can’t wait to meet even more students in the future – whether it be in Italy, in some amazing city around the world, or online. – Julian.
- 12 courses annually in Italy. The mid-summer ones are sold out already
- Course participants can expect to pay £1195 (sterling) for a week-long course, and £1595 for the 10-day art workshops. Express courses £650
- Prices include all tuition, art materials, accommodation, breakfast, lunch (excluding trip days) and dinner with wine, transport to and from painting locations, excursions during the week, and dinner at a local restaurant at the end of the course. I think this is a really good deal
- Offered are 3 large airy double/twin rooms and just one single room (prices are per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Should a single person wish to occupy a double room, there is a supplement of £300 for the week and £400 for the 10-day courses)
- All these rooms have a private entrance and an en-suite bath/shower room
- Info: ARTIST IN ITALY
Florence Art Studio FLORENCE Drawing and Painting
Highly recommended. The teaching method is sight-size, all work is done standing and students must be able to stand for a minimum period of 30 minutes between short breaks. The only prerequisite is that you have the desire to learn. Students learn how to learn, be patient, disciplined, and objectively self-critical to transform every small obstacle or challenge into a rewarding lesson. As students engage in the program their skills develop, and talent emerges along with personal content and expression.
- Private, working studio where courses may be one week or one month or more
- Courses always start on Mondays
- Three hours each morning to devoted to instruction
- Visits to Florence locations of historical and artistic importance are included
- From 650 euros a week
- Info: THE FLORENCE ART STUDIO
Pamela Fairburn SICILY Mixed Media
Pamela is a Sydney, Australia, watercolour and mixed media artist and art teacher who has been working in visual arts and art education for over 40 years. Her love of travel combines with her painting expertise and tutoring in “Paint Sicily”. Her comprehensive tour is great for non-painters too, as it includes many historical and cultural sites. Sicily is unique for its influences from Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Normans and Spaniards. Pamela will take you to Catania, Ragusa, Ortigia, ancient Syracuse, Taormina. Each place has its own distinctive artistic and architectural style.
- April 26-May 10, 2016
- Per person, single: from 6,700 euros
- Daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 9 dinners included
- Coach transport, art tuition: workshops, demonstrations & critiques and sightseeing entries & gratuities all included
- International airfare not included, and bring your own art materials
- Info: PAINT SICILY